Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Does Facebook make a Reunion redundant?

Photo Credit: Here
This summer will mark 7 years since I've graduated high school.
I remember talking to people on that last day of school in the gorgeous sunshine. Signing yearbooks, crying, laughing and excited for "the future". We joked with each other, saying "See you at the reunion!" It seemed so far away.

Now, more than ever, we are able to connect with practically anyone we are thinking about. Anyone who crosses our minds is a point and click away. Thanks Facebook. I now know that those two who were inseparable in high school have separated, that the girl we all thought was easy lived up to her name and got pregnant right out of High School, that one of the girls from my rugby team still plays rugby and that this guy can take some really amazing pictures and has made a living out of it. I know most of you have done it. Googled, Facebook stalked, found on twitter...etc that person from high school that you wanted to see "Where are they now?".

I was having lunch with a couple of girls that I make sure to stay in touch with, even if it means 1 lunch a year. One was the valedictorian and she brought up an amazing point. The point of a reunion is to catch up with those who you're interested in catching up with. Find out what they've been up to. However, the internet has taken the mystery out of it. The big reveal of "WOW, she lost a lot of weight!" or "Man, he's so much nicer now!".

So here is my question to you: Does Facebook make a Reunion redundant? Should we, who live in this technical age, even bother with the time and effort it takes to put together such a big event? If I want to meet up with someone... I can just send them a message and get together for a personal 1-on-1 coffee date!
I'm really curious, let me know what you think in the comments below! :)

No comments: