Monday, January 18, 2010

Resumes

Hello all,

Nikki here... yeah, AGAIN. I'm going to keep this trend up as long as I possibly can.


Ok, so I spent the better part of my day reading resumes and I have come up with a list of things NOT TO DO or just some tips when applying for a job and sending in a resume.

1. If you are going to use a template, MAKE SURE YOU FILL IN ALL THE SPOTS. Or for goodness sake take out the parts you aren't going to use. Like when it says "Name here" put your freaking name there or take OUT the "Name here" text.

2. If you are applying for a specific field (example clerical) don't cloud your resume with random skills like "Can lift 50lbs, and stand on one foot while eating cheeseburgers and singing the national anthem." Ok, so no one wrote that... but you get what I mean. Keep it relevant!

3. When reading a job posting, make sure you read it carefully. Like when it says what format to send your resume in and in the same post it asks for "great computer skills", the person reading resumes WILL NOTICE when they either can't open the document or when it isn't like ALL THE OTHER ONES (or they will just see that instead of ".doc" it is a ".pdf").

4. If you are going to write "I'm intelligent" and then go on to list a number of things. MAKE SURE THAT IT IS ALL SPELLED CORRECTLY! Especially the word RIGHT after 'intelligent'.

5. On the note of spelling, I WILL delete your resume without looking at it if in your e-mail, YOU SPELL YOUR OWN NAME WRONG!

6. When sending in resumes via e-mail, be sure to send it to one company at a time. Believe it or not, the receiver will see that you sent it to 8 other people and probably say what I say "Good luck with the other 8!" I know you aren't just applying at my business, just don't flaunt it in my face.

7. When saving your resume, you have to give it a name. I suggest (in my case it would be) "Nikki's Resume". Because when the receiver is going to open that document they will see the name. If you have written "Lesly's resume - for a pharmacy" and you're applying for a clerical job.... I WILL DELETE IT WITHOUT LOOKING AT IT.


In summary, I would just like to say that attention to detail is SUPER. DE. DOOOPER. Important. Take your time, read it over. Heck, have someone else read it over too!

Ok, that's my rant for the day!!

Talk to you soon!

No comments: